Saturday 15 March 2008

Martyn kicked into touch

Oh no. Found a new fave from someone I've never heard of before, a jazz pianist called Lynne Arriale. A corking version of "Feelin' Good" from her "Inspiration" album, which is full of covers. I love new takes on old tunes. I mean, it's a fab song anyway (by Newley and Bricusse), and Nina Simone and Muse's versions are really good, but this has just a fab rhythm to it. Great bass playing by Jay Anderson, too. This will set me off (and back) to jazz, I can see. Talking of which, there's a new CD due out from the sublime Neil Cowley Trio. We saw them last September in London and I was just so excited by their music (we're almost talking spontaneous incontinence). The last album, "Displaced", is fantastic and stayed on the machine for weeks. There's some Jarrett-sounding stuff in there and also a hint of a favourite band of mine, Jaga Jazzist. Their 2005 album "What We Must" is just essential layered energetic gorgeousness.

No comments: