Monday 3 August 2009

Jim Hennessy

Got some sad news last night about an old friend and colleague Jim Hennessy, seen here in typical red wine and smoking pose. He died in April this year.
I worked with Jim at the University of Brighton and we became great friends. He was charming, urbane, witty and full of fascinating stories. I remember him with great fondness and am sad that I never met up with him after he moved from Brighton to Totnes. I heard tales of him running a bookstall and learning languages. I can just see him, cooking, drink in hand, listening in to Spanish radio, probably ranting a bit.
Here's to you, Jim.

2 comments:

Chris Turner said...

Jim Hennessy was one of the greats - I worked with him or knew of him for nigh on 20 years from his time at PNL and then at Brighton and will miss him greatly. Much love to all those who will also miss him. Chris Turner

M said...

Jim was one of my lecturers and my personal tutor when I studied at the University of Brighton (it was still a Poly then) from 1990 to 92. He was an inspiring lecturer and great character and was one of the reasons I carried on to do postgraduate study. I will always have fond memories of Jim.