Wednesday 30 April 2008

brain drain


I've spent a good part of the last 24 hours trying to unblock a drain outside, in the cold and wet (and at times, dark). The heavy rain doesn't help as I'm bailing out the drain trying to de-silt the pipe. Ever inventive, the latest tool pressed into service is a Uri Geller-type bent spoon. It works for a while, but then the drain can't cope with sheer volume of water coming down the drainpipe. I mean, I'd even rather be working, let alone all the other things I've got lined up to do.

Tomorrow should see me sitting a test for a new (i.e. additional) home-based job. You have to sign a non disclosure agreement about what the work is all about. If I breach that I have to shoot myself. I used to do really classified work, the ever-pompous "work of national importance", which apart from having to sit in a Faraday cage to actually do the work, seemed much more relaxed than this commercial stuff. Still, there was the Official Secrets Act to consider. The most irksome part of it was having to dress up for the meetings, which involved me buying a suit. I once had to roam around the bowels of GCHQ - ooops, just off to load the Browning.

No comments: