Tuesday 22 April 2008

hierarchy of needs

Waking to an unreasonable level of grumpiness today, I was led to ponder Maslow's theory of human motivation (as one does). Discredited as it is, it's one of the few things that sticks with me from the various management courses I have done over the years. Surveying the base of the pyramid, I am thankful that my physiological needs appear to be satisfied, although more sleep is always welcome. The next layer is also OK if I squint a bit in the direction of financial security and pray to the God of the NHS. Onwards and upwards, there are a few holes in the social layer and then it starts to crumble, which is a great shame as creativity is at the apex. Mmm, not sure how starving-artists-in-garrets fit into Abraham's chart.

I read, courtesy of Wiki, that Maslow

"studied exemplary people such as Einstein ... rather than mentally ill or neurotic people, writing that 'the study of crippled, stunted, immature, and unhealthy specimens can yield only a cripple psychology and a cripple philosophy'".

Worrying, that he was a psychologist and not wanting to study "unhealthy specimens".

On that note, I wonder what Maslow's take would be as to why grumpiness set in yesterday when I got an e-mail from someone to whom I have sold a very modest item on eBay - just over a fiver including postage - so I make a profit of about £2.50. She's thinking of bidding on something else I have up - if she gets that, would I dock the first item's postage? Now, everyone makes a little bit on postage so this would reduce my profit to £1.50. There always seems to be something financial lurking to destabilize me - a phone bill, the car tax, NI contributions - but isn't my reaction to the loss of £1 a little worrying? Pass the St John's Wort.

No comments: